Monday, June 2, 2008

Hurricane Season...the drinkin' kind


Hurricane season starts the first of June and doesn't end until November 30th for all of us here on the east coast. Other states have regular seasons such as Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Not in Florida. Nope, here we have two seasons, Hurricane and Hot. In the event we have a cold spell (anything under 75 degrees) you will see a bunch of tan Floridians walking around in sweatshirts, shorts, and flip-flops. The cold never lasts more than a few weeks so we don't count it as an actual season.

Originating from Louisiana, I know a thing or two about "hot" and "hurricanes". My idea of both comes in the form of a season--a drinking and eating kind of season. Hot is for food, and Hurricane is my favorite alcoholic beverage. In recent years I have had the pleasure of treating my fellow Floridians to a few dishes and some good drinks, but never a real Hurricane pary like we use to have back home. No, I'm afraid no one does the Hurricanes like they do back in Louisiana. So while we may have a few storms touch the coast or blaze a trail across Central Florida, it's just not the same without the original Hurricane.

No comments: