Monday, October 12, 2009

A Loving Gift..and Bleeding Ears

I love the Santa Shop they have at school. My oldest gets some money every year to buy a little something for whomever he wants and every year he always buys me some form of jewelry.

My absolute favorite is the rhinestone tennis bracelet that he bought me in first grade. Second grade was a fabulous replica of the first rhinestone bracelet that met it's untimely demise when it fell apart and slipped off of my green wrist down the kitchen drain. Third grade was a different bracelet of linked silver stones with sweet words etched on them (i.e. believe, love, live, laugh, hope, etc.). Fourth grade (last year) he bought me yet another bracelet with a charm that says '#1 Mom' and a beautiful pair of difakeamond stud earrings.

Well, today I f0und I am a bit more sensitive to fake jewelry than I realized. It started this morning when I couldn't find one of my real gold studs, so I just grabbed the difakeamonds and put them in as I headed out to run errands. About a half hour later my ear started itching. I twisted the post and squeezed the back a little to loosen it away from my ear lobe. Another hour or so goes by and I start to feel it throbbing. Huh. So I take it out, rub my ear a little then put it back in. Shortly after this my other ear lobe starts itching. I go through basically the same scenario.

After wearing the difakeamonds for a day I had to take them out. No, I don't mean just take them out of my ears; I mean take them out ninja style with a one-two chop, quick twist to get them out of my ears. It was like pulling a bandaid off a hairy leg kind pain! At some point during the day the back of the earrings fused itself to my ear lobe. OUCH!

When the sting wore off I peeked at the damage and saw my tender little ear was bleeding. These too met thier untimely demise...this time the dog ate them. Don't hate! I really have them hidden away in my jewelry box! I love my son, and love the gifts he surprises me with every year, but if he gets me another pair of Chinese torture devices disguised as earrings I will just have to be sure hubs buys me a real pair that looks just like them. Yeah, that works for me!

6 comments:

Tracie said...

I can't wear fakes either. I discovered that in college when I broke out in a rash and swelled up like a watermelon.

Kristen Painter said...

Add me to the list of those who can't wear fake stuff!

Life Laugh Latte said...

Maybe as you get older you just can't wear fakes anymore. Shoot! Guess you have to go for the real thing:)Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Oh, I've done the same thing. In desperation, found an old pair of earrings on the way out. Yuuuuccckkyyy, it doesn't take very long, usually by lunch, I have to remove them. Maybe not Ninja style? But, get these suckers out my ears NOW style, if that counts!

Unknown said...

I don't tolerate the fake stuff very well, either. I think my earlobes are prone to infection or something??? Good to know I'm not alone, though!

I Wonder Wye said...

What a sweet little guy to want to buy mom pretty things! You definitely should have the hubster take him to the jewelry store for the real stuff - then it's a win-win situation for all!