Thursday, September 11, 2008

What Does Today Mean To You?

September 11th is a reminder of the tragedy that struck our nation seven years ago. The threat of terrorism has loomed over us for decades, and will likely be attempted again by new fascist groups, Jihads, political idealists, and nimrods who want everyone to be just like them.

I remember that day. I was working my civilian job, fresh from the Corps, when it happened. A month later I received orders to report back to active duty and resume my MOS as a field radio operator. I left a 3 year old son and a husband that I had yet been able to marry because our love was forbidden in the service when we met. That's a love story for a later date. What really hit home for me is that my son knew there were bad men attacking us and knew I had to leave because of them. To this day I feel that moment is the reason he is so protective of me.

My point is, it affected everyone differently. Wounds heal, but scars stay as a reminder. Though I mourn the loss of loved ones and fear it will happen again in my children's lifetime, I know we will have better days ahead because of the men and women that wake up a million miles from home, eat cold meals if any at all, wear the same uniform day in and day out, maybe getting a call home once a week/month, knowing they may never make it home again, all to protect us and our great nation.

What really makes this day special are those who served, serve now, and will in the future. What really makes this day special is that our baby boy, Bam, is 9 months old today. What's really special is that our oldest son was worried he wouldn't be able to find something red, white, and blue to wear to acknowledge today (all on his own doing). What's really, really special is that I live in America and have the freedom to write about it.

Remember that little things sometimes make the biggest impact. Big things sometimes make the least noise and calls for moments of silence. What does this day mean to you?

No comments: