Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Mom Finger

It's been a long time since I literally laughed so hard that my drink squirted out of my nose. Last night at supper was one of those times. Just for a back story: I'm a mom to two boys (11 and 21 months); hubs and I met in the Marine Corps over 12 years ago and humorously find a new reason every day to appreciate our chaos; and I have two dogs, both males. I'm outnumbered! Also the disciplinarian--by nature, I was raised in a predominantly female home by a single mother--so my reputation with the family is not just Mom, but Yes Ma'am.

Last night was a prime example of my MOM rep. We were sitting at the table for supper, trying to enjoy a conversation with our 11 year old, when Bam (our 21 month old, appropriately named) kept throwing his food to the dogs...across the baby gate into the next room! We kept sitting him back in his chair, and he kept pitching his food and giving us the stink face. Finally I had enough, gave him a stare, snapped my finger and pointed at him to sit. He immediately put his head down and whimpered as if I had spanked him. My oldest across the table said, "Ohhhh, he knows the Mom Finger!"

Oh my God, he has a name for it! I was laughing so hard at his comment that I couldn't choke down my Diet Dr. Pepper in time before it shot back up my throat into my nose! My husband nearly fell out of his chair. It was funny. Perhaps a 'you had to be there moment' unless you are a mom and know exactly what I am talking about. And I know you do ;-)

Aptly named, The Mom Finger, I have decided to coin this phrase in honor of my preteen son who never ceases to make us smile/scratch our heads/understand why other species eat their young/and mostly love the moments like these.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The Mom Finger---so THAT'S what it's called! All this time and I never knew. I definitely smiled as I read this because it's all too familiar. Except I don't know that my kids respect my mom finger very much. Is there a way for you to teach me that part?

Tracie said...

I'm with Erin M.. My kids ignore my Mom Finger. There's no power there for some reason. Now my mother has the Mom Finger, The Snap-To-Attention Snap, and the Shut It Eye. Apparantly it's not genetic.

Katie Reus said...

I followed your post from Kristen's blog (Divalicious) and love your blog :) I'm in my twenties and my mom doesn't have 'the finger' but she has a look that makes me cower in fear!! I'm afraid that even when i have kids of my own I'll still be hiding from 'the look' ;)

Kristen Painter said...

I love it. The Mom Finger! Also? That is some real stink face. Wow!

Life Laugh Latte said...

Hi Sissi, thanks so much for coming by my blog lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com. So fun to see a new face, and we are so new at this that it really is a Super Thrill! Couldn't wait to visit your blog, and I'm thrilled to find you. Really loved the first 3 articles. By the way...my mom had a point and snap of the fingers. That's how I knew I was seconds away from a spanking. Still gives me shivers:)

Beth said...

That is too funny!! You have the "Mom Finger" & I have to use all my fingers on one hand to get them to listen. I am so glad that I atleast have one other female companion in the house, even though it is the dog.

Holly Lefevre said...

That's hilarious. When I was checking out your blog earlier, my little one had just woke from a nap (I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old), so I didn't get a chance to check it all out...now I have. Gotta love the big kids! I will have to try the Mom Finger to see if it has any power. Thanks
Holly @ 504main.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.