Friday, September 11, 2009

I Remember

Normally I post on Thursdays as that is my work week Friday. I decided to wait until today to post in order to honor the fallen heroes from 9/11/01 who gave their lives to save others. To honor the men, women, and children who died that day as they went about their business in the towers, and waiting to return home or to their destinations on the planes that crashed. To honor the men and women who served, serve today, and will serve in the future to protect and defend America. God bless all of you.

In the recent months of our current administration there has been a great divide among parties, friends, co-workers, etc. on numerous issues. Previous administrations have endured similar scrutiny.

Regardless of party affiliation and personal beliefs, today is a day that needs to be remembered for the atrocities brought against our nation. The likes of which sit in history with the Oklahoma City bombings, the attack on the USS Cole, the bombing of Pearl Harbor. This is not our first rodeo, and will likely not be our last. The men and women serving our country face these horrors on a daily basis, most without the comfort of family and familiarity near by.

Looking back eight years ago I am thankful being here today with my boys. After the attacks numerous recently discharged soldiers were called back to active duty to fight in the war on terror. Finding words to explain to their children that they had to go away again, telling new jobs and new friends they had to leave, it was heart wrenching as much as it was an adrenaline rush to be able to do what you were trained to do. Some shipped overseas, others were sent to fill support positions of those that shipped overseas. All of them spent Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years with strangers that soon became part of their military family, a bond that lasts a lifetime.

I’ve seen the camaraderie of our troops first hand and know the pride in protecting my country, my family, and my beliefs. I ask out of respect for those who serve overseas and here on the front lines that you take a moment to remember. Take a moment today to thank a veteran, a soldier, a policeman, a fireman, and God (insert you own belief) for being able to live in a free country. I thank God for the opportunities he has given me, for the family and friends that love a support me, and for all the things I have the freedom to complain about.

I’ll never forget.

No comments: