Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Little Giving of Thanks

All my loved ones and millions around the Nation are celebrating Thanksgiving.  For the past few weeks friends and family have posted thier #days of Thanks on social networking sites, blogs and news groups have started butting in with Christmas shopping on Black Friday, and schools have let out for the week/few days to observe the holiday--leaving parents who don't get off rushing to find childcare or drag thier kids with them on the mad rush to get the best shopping deals. 

I have mixed feelings with Thanksgiving.  A little history lesson of how the day came about is redundant as no one wants to hear of the carnage and chaos that occurred between new settlers and the Native Americans.  What people want to hear is how thankful you are for what you have.  Well...here goes:

I'm thankful to have a rich culture of Native American and Irish from my mother's side, and Lord only knows what on my father's side.  Family has hinted at coonass, but I refuse to be the lone child born in cajun country to admit it!  (Bran and T.J. tried to convince me I was adopted from a banjo family in the swamps--I have all my teeth and more sass so I know better).

I'm thankful for my husband, though we have little time together and usually talk best through text, supports and loves me for the workaholic I am. 

I'm thankful for the giant teenager that calls me mom and I call 'Peanut' though he towers over my 5'10" frame.

I'm thanful for the minature replica of the tasmanian devil known as Bam that also calls me mom and reminds me how precious every ounce of the day with him and my Peanut is. 

I'm thankful for the four-legged furbabies I call '#$%*&', '#$&%' and '^&$*&#' on a daily basis for eating something of mine or leaving a leggo mess of puke on my wood floors. 

I'm thankful for my family and friends who seem to pick up where we left off even after years of being apart.


I'm thankful for my job that allows me to serve my community---no sarcasm, I really love my job and am damn lucky to have one.

I'm am humbled and honored for the service members that sacrifice miles, months/years, and a lot of memories with loved ones to protect my freedoms. 

I'm thankful for my sorrows that make my joys so much better.

I'm thankful for my hard times that make my easy ones that much easier.

I'm thankful for my mistakes because they remind me to learn something new every day.

I am so very thankful for the amazing life I have been blessed with. 

And a big thanks to those who read this and are thankful to be able to READ!



No comments: