Monday, August 24, 2009

Brouhaha

I read the news every morning online or turn on the TV if it's an off day to see what the world has to offer. Today I read through a few different news sites (conservative, liberal, and fence) and in all three of them I saw the word "brouhaha" mentioned. This made me laugh as the last time I heard this word was at a Halloween party when someone was making Brew...ha ha. It was one of those 'had to be there' moments.

In light of my daily news intake I am making my word for the day to be BROUHAHA.

Definition:
brou⋅ha⋅ha 
–noun
1. excited public interest, discussion, or the like, as the clamor attending some sensational event; hullabaloo: The brouhaha followed disclosures of graft at City Hall.

2. an episode involving excitement, confusion, turmoil, etc., esp. a broil over a minor or ridiculous cause: A brouhaha by the baseball players resulted in three black eyes.
Origin: 1885–90; < F, orig. brou, ha, ha! exclamation used by characters repr. the devil in the 16th-cent. drama; perh. < Heb, distortion of the recited phrase bārūkh habbā (beshēm ădhōnai) “blessed is he who comes (in the name of the Lord)” (Ps. 118:26)

How would you use the word?

3 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

My husband and I had a brouhaha over my latest shopping bill.

Just kidding. He never complains. lol

I like the new look of the blog! For some reason, your blog stopped showing up in my feed.

Sissi M. said...

Thanks! Like your new picture. I changed my URL when my email got hacked. Fun fun.

Unknown said...

I love that word. It's perfect. DH and I had a brouhaha earlier today when he informed me his mother was coming over for dinner.