No tradition is more precious than celebrating Mothers. I'm one of the lucky ones that grew up with a loving but strict mother who instilled manners, the fear of God, and meaning of family in us at a tender age. She was a single mom with three rowdy kids. Money was tight, but she never let us know it. She was lonely but never showed it. Often getting in trouble, as kids in the country will with nothing to do, she was quick to discipline but even quicker to love. I wouldn't change a thing about my childhood as it is part of who I am today. I often look over my shoulder to see where that voice came from as I bestow the same wisdom (or yell at them for being destructive) on my boys as she did me and my siblings. I love you Momma, and I hope today is as wonderful as all the days you have given us. Happy Mother's Day.
In honor of mothers everywhere that heal boo boos, wipe tears, hug tight, kiss goodnight, and always know when to let us take flight...this is for you.
Twenty Things My Mother Taught Me:
1. My mother taught me to APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE. "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."
2. My mother taught me about RELIGION. "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL. "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
4. My mother taught me about LOGIC. "Because I said so, that's why."
5. My mother taught me about FORESIGHT. "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."
6. My mother taught me about IRONY. "Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."
7. My mother taught me about STAMINA. "You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."
8. My mother taught me about WEATHER. "This room of yours looks like a tornado went through it."
9. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY. "If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"
10. My mother taught me about the CIRCLE OF LIFE. "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
11. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION. "Stop acting like your father!"
12. My mother taught me about ENVY. "There are millions of children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."
13. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION. "Just wait until we get home."
14. My mother taught me about RECEIVING. "You are going to get it when you get home!"
15. My mother taught me about MEDICAL SCIENCE. "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."
16. My mother taught me about ESP. "Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you'll be cold?"
17. My mother taught me about HUMOR. "When that lawnmower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."
18. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT. "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."
19. My mother taught me about GENETICS. "You're just like your father."
20. My mother taught me about WISDOM. "When you get to be my age, you'll understand."